Please allow me to join in with everyone else in the world and note that of you or I were to print our own money, we’d be in trouble.
Of course, just because everyone is saying it, doesn’t mean that it’s without merit. There are a lot of crimes that stop being crimes if you scale them up enough. Murder on a big enough scale becomes war; theft on a big enough scale becomes socialism; printing money becomes economics; and fraud becomes politics.
Actually, all of the classic seven deadly sins ‘scale up’.
- Lust (Latin, luxuria)
- Lusting too much is a bad thing; lusting far too much has resulted in Hugh Hefner being something of a leg end.
- Gluttony (Latin, gula)
- Overeating at one meal is a bad idea, and pretty damn unsightly. And yet we’re all becoming massively fat, so it isn’t all that bad.
- Greed (Latin, avaritia)
- We know that greed is bad, and we dismiss those who act too greedily. But then we all look greedily at those Sheiks with gold cars.
- Sloth (Latin, acedia)
- Being a bit lazy is bad; and yet how many people don’t work and don’t regret it?
- Wrath (Latin, ira)
- Unjustified anger is bad. So how come Gordon Ramsey has made a career out of it?
- Envy (Latin, invidia)
- Obviously a bad thing, and yet the entire country feels justified in being envious of yer RBS guy with the huge pension.
- Pride (Latin, superbia)
- Goeth before the fall, or so we’re told. And yet the entire point of politics seems to be based on a hell of a lot of pride…